The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is excited to announce the opening of a new Grand Challenges grant opportunity: Ending the Pandemic Threat: A Grand Challenge for Universal Influenza Vaccine Development.
This Grand Challenge is being launched during the centenary year of the 1918 flu pandemic, with the goal of identifying novel, transformative concepts that would lead to development of a truly universal flu vaccine. Such a vaccine would alleviate the need for annual seasonal influenza vaccination campaigns and would prepare the world for the next influenza pandemic. Application deadline is June 22, 2018 at 11:00 am PDT.
Please also see the other currently open grant opportunities:
Grand Challenges Explorations grant opportunities
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is inviting Grand Challenges Explorations (GCE) proposals for the following three challenges (application deadline is May 2, 2018):
- Innovations in Immunization Data Management, Use, and Improved Process Efficiency
- Affordable, Accessible, and Appealing: The Next Generation of Nutrition (also see the blog)
- Tools and Technologies for Broad-Scale Disease Surveillance of Crop Plants in Low-Income Countries
GCE grants have already been awarded to more than 1300 researchers in more than 65 countries. Initial grants are for USD $100,000 and successful projects are eligible to receive follow-on funding of up to USD $1 million. Proposals are solicited twice a year for an expanding set of global health and development challenges. Applications are only two pages, and no preliminary data is required. Applicants can be at any experience level; in any discipline; and from any type of organization, including colleges and universities, government laboratories, research institutions, non-profit organizations and for-profit companies.
Grand Challenges grant opportunities
- Grand Challenges India: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 25, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Explorations – Brazil: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 28, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Africa: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 16, 2018.
- Grand Challenges South Africa: New Approaches to Characterize the Global Burden of Antimicrobial Resistance. Application deadline is May 16, 2018.
- Grand Challenges: Campylobacter spp. Transmission Dynamics in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Grand Challenges Explorations – Brazil: Data Science Approaches to Improve Maternal and Child Health in Brazil. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Misk Grand Challenges: Activating Global Citizenship: Building the Next Generation of Global Citizens for the Global Goals.Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
- Misk Grand Challenges: Reinventing Teaching and School Leadership: Preparing the Youth with the 21st Century Skills Needed for a Knowledge Economy. Application deadline is May 2, 2018.
Additional global funder grant opportunities
- The African Academy of Sciences (AAS), the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are partnering under the auspices of the Coalition of African Research & Innovation (CARI) to establish a post-doctoral training fellowship program, the African Postdoctoral Training Initiative (APTI). Training will be at the intramural laboratories of NIH. Application deadline is May 11, 2018.
- The Templeton World Charity Foundation announces Round 1 of its new Global Innovations for Character Development initiative. Application deadline is June 15, 2018.
- Magee-Women’s Research Institute in Pittsburgh is accepting applications for the $1 million Magee Prize that will be awarded at the inaugural Magee-Women’s Research Summit on Oct. 9-10, 2018, in Pittsburgh. The Prize will fund a collaborative team of scientists at Magee and elsewhere in the world whose groundbreaking research in reproductive sciences and women’s health will advance knowledge in the field and improve lives globally. A letter of intent is due by May 11, 2018 and applications for the Magee Prize are due by June 15, 2018.